Dr James Hillson
My research focuses on Gothic art and architecture of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries in England and France. I am currently completing a PhD provisionally entitled “St Stephen’s Chapel, Westminster: Architecture and Decoration in the Courts of Henry III and the three Edwards (1231-1363)” which aims to both provide a new reconstruction of the building and its chronology and investigate changing political influences over the reigns of four kings. This case study allows me to articulate my wider interests, including the nature of archetypical buildings and their mode of dissemination, the role of regionality and centrality in the formation of stylistic narratives in architecture (both nationally and internationally), material, structural and spatial iconography and the relationship between art and politics in royal patrons.
Keep up to date with the latest news from the project via our Twitter feed:
- @dustshoveller @VSS_Project Silver polishing excellent displacement!! Ours always shiny! 3 days 11 hours ago
- @dustshoveller @VSS_Project Do you have new moggy yet? Provides constant source of displacement activity. 4 days 9 hours ago
- @dustshoveller @VSS_Project Procrastination is the mother of invention ? 4 days 9 hours ago
- @annanderson2012 @VSS_Project They're staring at me now. I actually have a list. It includes 'breakfast' and 'clean car inside'. 4 days 9 hours ago
- @dustshoveller @VSS_Project Forgot cleaning drawers ? No double entendres 🙃 4 days 9 hours ago